Tuesday, September 24, 2013

In Andrea's Words

As we approach the anniversary of Andrea's passing, I have been thinking about my sister quite a bit. I know, understandable. As I was getting ready for bed tonight I realized, 3 years ago today was my last day with Andrea.  That was the topic of my last blog entry... that was 1 year ago. The majority of my entries on this blog have been from my perspective and I thought about writing an entry on her anniversary. Instead, I want to share Andrea's words. I haven't heard Andrea's voice in almost 3 years. But, rather than share her voice, I want to share her words. Andrea used the Caring Bridge website to share her health updates with her family and friends. Her husband Chris shared her last entry with us while Andrea was in hospice. So here are Andrea's words, the words she intended to publish 3 years ago today (Well, now it's after midnight so yesterday).

Hello,

I realize that it has been quite some time since I have provided an update.  So, I am making an attempt to offer some type of information.  I ask that you bear with me as it is extremely hard for me to focus, stay awake when I type literally anything, and just make sense.  FYI – book: “Crazy, Random Thoughts of Andrea Corey”.  Of course, I would be taking a bit of a twist from the old Saturday Night Live segment: “Deep Thoughts” by Jack Handy. Of course, my book would be based on the crazy things I have said while on a serious amount of pain meds. It would be interesting and quite funny.

Onto other topics, my birthday was wonderful.  Just being home from the hospital was a gift.  Ultimately, spending time with my family and friends was just the best gift. Chris busted his hump to provide me a very nice birthday celebration. And it was just that. 

Coming home has certainly presented many challenges.  We started with Chris carrying me up and 
down the steps and in and out of the shower.  Let’s just say that didn’t last long after Chris’ back could no longer handle it. My physical therapist also felt it was very dangerous.  Since Chris’s back was no longer, I resorted to scooting up the stairs and along the floor on my butt.  That didn’t last very long either.  The carpet padding in our bedroom mine as well be non-existent. It is like sitting on straight plywood – FUN!  My arms and butt hurt so terribly that I had no idea how I was going to make it through another day scooting around. Needless to say, we had to make some changes.  We have now become close to being a medical supply company.  In addition to my wheelchair, walker and lovely commode, we now have a very large shower bench, a beautiful ramp with platform, a stair chair/lift, and a little cart that I use to scoot around our upstairs. I guess the cart, a gardening cart mind you, doesn’t fall into medical cart. It has been a life-saver for me.

As for how I am doing physically, the feet issue is definitely getting better.  I still spend most of my time sitting. However, that does not mean I am “sitting around”. Every day is an adventure and completely unpredictable.  While I will walk with a walker just around the house with the assistance of at least one other person, my mode of movement is a wheelchair.  Because my feet and legs were elevated for so long, anytime my legs are down they swell terribly. Until I am using my legs more regularly, I desperately need to keep my legs up.  Which is also tough, because I am need to try get up and walk at least once a day (ha ha)...




Andrea, you are missed... everyday.


No comments:

Post a Comment