Monday, May 7, 2012

Who is Andrea? 5/7/12

I want to share some of Andrea with all of you. So, I have posted some of Andrea's own words as well as a link to a video tribute below.

One of Andrea's good friends from childhood made this video in a matter of days for Andrea's funeral. I really don't know how she did it!! It was a collective effort to get all of these pictures to Estelle (Andrea's friend), but we did it!!! Estelle flew in to Philly, from Iowa, to be at  Andrea's funeral (with the DVD of this video in hand). Thank you, Estelle, for a beautiful tribute to my sister.

I am also adding Andrea's own words to this entry. I think we've all fowarded, shared or trashed emails/chain letters like "List 25 Random Things About Me." Andrea completed one of these and posted it on Facebook. The unique thing about Andrea's is that she wrote it about a year after her cancer diagnosis. When you read her words and see her video, you will get an idea of who my sister was.

I would like to hear from you. If you have any questions at all. I'd be happy to answer them. I enjoy the chance to talk about my sister.

One thing I've learned in the wake of my sister's passing is that talking about her feels good. If I stop talking about her, she truly will die. The only way she can live on for me is through sharing my thoughts and memories of her. Sharing my sister with you makes me happy, not sad.

 25 Random Things About Me 
By: Andrea Corey

1. I am currently fighting a battle against cancer...I plan on winning!

2. The crap I deal and have dealt with regarding my parents' separation and divorce made me who I am today - who would have thought that it could have prepared me for what was in store for my life.

3. I love to play sports and am ridiculously competitive...I hate to lose at anything EVER!

4. I love to laugh...I have laughed so hard that I threw up (thanks Cori!)

5. I have also laughed so hard that I peed my pants (a couple of times) - thanks again, Cori!

6. I actually took flute lessons when I was in 6th grade, but it interfered too much with soccer…not to mention that I didn’t practice enough and used to get light-headed when I played…

7. I have never touched an illegal drug in my life…clearly, that hasn't paid off for me

8. My husband and daughter are everything to me…I don’t know what I would do without them.

9. I know that I have a great family…although I don’t get to see them often enough, but I know they are there for me.

10. Some of my best memories are from college…I wish desperately that I could go back. Linda and I did some BIZARRE things in college...a rap song to I'M A LITTLE TEAPOT

11. My friends are an integral part of my life...I have some of the greatest friends that anyone could ask for. I am so lucky.

12. Having cancer can bring forth SO many blessings and teaches you a lot about yourself...I knew I was strong, but I have surprised myself.

13. I was caught stealing (by my parents) when I was in 7th grade...Thrift Drugs and Staples don't know what hit them...Estelle was a bad example - go figure. (Love you Estelle) ADDENDUM: the go figure part of this is that Estelle is now one of the best influences on my life...weird how that happens.

14. When I started my job at Delaware Investments, I didn't even know the name of the department I was working in and knew jack-squat about the stock market or investments...now I am Vice President - GO FIGURE!

15. I was ridiculously good at math in school and horrible in biology, but for some odd reason I decided to major in biology in college...I didn't like to study so I switched majors. Good old Communication!

16. I miss my friendships from high school and the summer after high school...those were great times and great friends.

17. I am extremely critical of people's misspellings and misuse of words - it frustrates the hell out of me...I pick up misspellings EVERYWHERE! (sorry Tom)

18. I used to think when I was little that I would NEVER like my brother because he was so mean to me growing up...now he is one of my biggest cheerleaders and supporters...it means the world to me.

19. When I was a senior in college (and VERY mature), I punched my sister in the face - and was proud of it. Now we are closer than ever and I feel so lucky that I have her to talk to WHENEVER. She is a HUGE support. It’s amazing that you can fight one minute and then be best friends the next…we know, we played softball on the same team and fought with each other on the field (this was only a few years ago)

20. I will write off friends that are "toxic" to me and selfish...have done it before, would do it again. Although, I have become more tolerant...just a little.

21. My favorite noise/sound is of my daughter laughing...it is so genuine and is the BEST medicine.

22. I will bend over backwards for ANYONE in my life regardless of what I am dealing with...I think supporting your family and friends is the best gift you can give.

23. I LOVE LOVE LOVE to dance...my parents used to joke that I was going to be a dancing dentist...what a dork. I still remember cheerleading routines from high school (and my sister's 7th grade cheerleading dance; note: I was not even on the team). I also laid on the dance floor on our wedding day when dancing to I WILL SURVIVE..really, such a dork.

24. I have the memory of an elephant. I RARELY forget anything...it freaks people out quite a bit, but I don't do it intentionally...trust me, I wish I could rid my head of information to create some space for more important things.

25. If I die at an early age, I ask my friends and family to take good care of my daughter and husband...please make sure that they have the love and support that I would give them if I were here. However, please refer back to number 1…I don’t plan on that happening.

 
Andrea's Video Tribute



4 comments:

  1. Who is Andrea? Good Question. I’d like to share an experience that we had on our last ski trip together which will give you some insight on who Andrea is. As if we do not already know.

    It was towards the end of the day and we made our final run at this point in Andrea’s life she was truly devoted to her self-well-being. In which she had a regiment of massage therapy, seeing a nutritionists, joint family therapy (we would meet together with a therapist), Chemotherapy and seeing a Spiritual Counselor.

    As we made our way down the slope and back to the rental shop to return our skis Andrea get hit from out of the blue with a fluttering black thing which stays with her for a bit. After a few seconds (seems like minutes) the black thing dislodges and falls to the ground. We both look to find a bat staring back at us. WT?

    I could not read Andrea’s thoughts on this…Everyday day Andrea was a bit freaked out…Spiritual Andrea was in a state of shock and awe. It was a very surreal moment in which she told me that her spiritual counselor mentioned that bat will cross your path in the near future. Woah!?!

    On the ride home she contacted her counselor to get the meaning of this occurrence in which she kept most of the details to herself. The thing she said to me was that it involved a rebirth. At this point I accecped rebirth but knew ther was more to this.

    I searched online but nothing jumped out at me at that time for the spiritual meaning of “Bat.” I searched again today, after reading your blog, and came across a site that brings the symbolism to meaning.

    http://www.whats-your-sign.com/animal-symbolism-bat.html

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Bat Animal Symbolism

      Let's face it, the bat isn't the most popular of animal totems. In fact, it's largely misunderstood and so therefore many of its symbolic meanings are inappropriately fear-based.

      However, the very savvy Native Americans approached the realm of animals from a position of honor - knowing that all things are connected. They understood that seeing the bat with fear in the heart would be the same as being terrified of their own children. Ridiculous.

      The Native American animal symbolism of the bat comes from a keen observation of this magnificent animal. These people recognized that the bat was highly sensitive to their surroundings and so therefore was considered a symbol of intuition, dreaming and vision.

      This made the bat a powerful symbol for Native American shamans and medicine people. Often the spirit of the bat would be invoked when special energy was needed, like "night-sight" which is the ability to see through illusion or ambiguity and dive straight to the truth of matters.

      It is a symbol of communication because the Native Americans observed the bat to be a highly social creature. Indeed, the bat has strong family ties. They are very nurturing, exhibiting verbal communication, touching, and sensitivity to members of their group.

      Here is a quick-list of bat animal symbolism:
      • Illusion
      • Rebirth
      • Dreams
      • Intuition
      • Initiation
      • Journeying
      • Inner Depth
      • Communication

      The bat is a symbol of rebirth and depth because it is a creature that lives in the belly of the Mother (Earth). From the womb-like caves it emerges every evening at dusk. And so - from the womb it is reborn every evening.

      If you have the bat as your totem you are extremely aware of your surroundings. Sometimes you can be overly sensitive to the feelings of others. Additionally, you are quite perceptive on a psychic level, and are prone to have prophetic dreams.

      If you work with the bat as your totem, you will be put to the test, because it is demands only 100% commitment to spiritual growth. The bat will never accept half-hearted or lukewarm attempts at self-improvement. Indeed, if the bat senses that you are slacking in your psychic/spiritual training it will likely move on to someone else who is more willing to learn the lessons the bat has to offer.

      As with most of our hardest challenges, working with the demanding bat will reap some of the most profound rewards you could ever dream of. But be warned, the bat asks a lot of us, like:
      • Dying to our ego
      • Loving our enemies as ourselves
      • Going within to touch our inner demons
      • Exploring the underworlds of reality (which can be scary)
      • Renewing our thoughts and beliefs on a moment-to-moment basis

      All of these tasks can be harrowing experiences. This is why the Native American symbolism of the bat deals with initiation; because this creature takes us to outlandish extremes. But rest assured, the bat is never leaves our side while we are journeying.

      Furthermore, once we are tested to satisfaction, the devotion of the bat will never fade. It will eternally support us on our spiritual path - ever faithful and forever loving us on our journey to maintain our highest potential.

      Delete
    2. It's amazing how just starting this discussion has opened my eyes to experiences that I never knew about you and Andrea.

      Thanks, Christopher!

      Delete